Calorie Math

Lately it has been getting harder to see the scale move and I think it's because I'm not eating enough calories! When I first started on my journey I was not very active, I would burn maybe 150-250 calories a day, somedays I wouldn't burn much of anything. I was eating around 1,200-1,400 calories per day. Problem is, I've kept the same calorie budget (1,200) but have not taken into consideration how active I am now vs. several months ago... that is a problem I'm finding!

If I'm only eating 1,200 calories a day and I burn around 500 calories that day, that means I have a net of only 700 calories! That is LOW!

I used this website I found to find out what my BMR is to maintain and lose. It shows that my BMR is 1,898 calories. Here is the break down:

  • To maintain = 2,278 calories
  • Lose 1 lb per week = 1,778 calories

I try to keep at 1,200 calories a day net so to lose 2 lbs per week I would need to stick with the 1,600-1,700 calorie range if I'm burning 500 calories on top of already reducing my daily intake by 500 calories as shown above (put's me at -1,000 calories under a day that way). So, basically eat more if I move more... stick to 1,200 calories on my rest days. Let's see how this goes!

With that all being said, I started a new daily log, so at the end of the day I will write down my calories eaten, my calories burned, my net calories and then track my weight the next morning. I want to get some data going for a couple weeks to see if there is a change. I'm a big data and numbers person, so seeing a new log sheet to play with in my planner makes me happy haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment

- - - - - - - - - - - - -