Weigh Day! (and some tips)

Well, it was a great week! I'm down 3.2 lbs this week and a total of 81 lbs lost since August! I'm now 19 lbs away from hitting my second weight loss goal, which is to lose 100 lbs. It's starting to get more and more surreal to me, but in a good way! Results truly show when I work hard and focus, I wasn't doing 100% the past few weeks, so I got my shit together and really focused this week... then boom, magic happens.

I get a lot of comments on Instagram saying that they wish they could lose weight as easily as me... if it were easy, I would be a size 2. While I'm flattered, it isn't easy. The struggle is real and I'm always thinking about food. I've just worked really hard with self control and have kept my focus through my journey.

I used to hear people say "if I can do it, you can do it" and would roll my eyes at that comment. Now I catch myself telling others that! It's true though, if I can do it... you can to! I was drinking a pack of Diet Coke a day (we're talking more like a case here), was eating fast food 3-4 times a day (and yes, those were combo meals), and I was lucky if I got did 1,500 steps a day. Cleaning the house was hard, I had to take a break after 3-5 min, I couldn't walk more than 20 feet without being out of breath and in pain from plantar fasciitis, and I even canceled plans sometimes because of either the pain in my feet or just the embarrassment I was feeling. Playing with my daughter was not an option either, I wore out far too quickly.

Flash forward to now, I've completed seven 5k's and one 10k since December, and that is just the beginning! I'm walking and running daily, I love to go out and move. I can play with my daughter till I wear her out! I'm gaining a life that I wanted for years and years, and I could not be more happy. To say I feel free is an understatement. I am filled with gratitude towards myself for finally putting myself first and getting healthy. No one can do that for me, only I can. Self love is one of the hardest journeys one can go on but I believe it is one of the most rewarding. Even though I started a weight loss journey, I still loved who I was at 320 lbs even though I was restricted physically. There were things I was doing that weight couldn't effect me like my art. I loved myself as I lost the weight and I love myself right now. If the scale were to stop today at my current weigh of 239 lbs and never budge again, I'm ok with that! Would I like it to keep moving? Of course, haha!





I get asked a lot if I have any tips I can offer to people just starting their journey or those who are on it now. There are plenty I could offer, I could write a book of weight loss journey so far! Here are a few personal tips that work for me and what I have learned:

  1. You have to be 100% down right honest with yourself. Before you start your journey and during your journey. Before starting your journey, really open up to yourself and discover your downfalls and/or triggers. Go head to head with these with no fear. Finding your downfalls is the beginning, then just remove those from your journey or work on a way to limit them. For me, I had to remove them because I just had no control. I quit soda almost 3 years ago, red meat nearly 2 years ago, and quit fast food close to 7 months ago. Not being truthful to yourself will not help you succeed, it will hold you back. Catch yourself during your journey, if your not sure why the scale isn't moving after X amount of weeks, be honest with yourself and evaluate what you have been doing. You could be sneaking in calories, not weighing your food, etc. Be truthful to yourself and find what you are doing wrong or slipping on. It's ok!
  2. Do or do not, there is no try. Yoda said it best! When I say "I'll try to do this" it means I'm not fully committed, but when I say "yes, I'm going to do this!" it's like I'm making a pact with myself and I tend to stick with it! Be your own cheerleader and set your own goals to crush!
  3. Move more! Even if it means parking further away from the store so you get more steps in. If walking in general is hard right now, try upper body! You can sit in a chair and do some simple arm exercises to get blood flowing and your heart rate up. If you love water, head to the pool and move in there! Get creative and find a way at any size! 
  4. Celebrate every victory. This is important to me, I celebrate every non-scale victory (NSV), every weigh day, every time I complete a run, you name it! Like I said above, be your own cheerleader! Making this journey fun and rewarding along the way helps to keep me going! Reward yourself with things and adventures, not food! Celebrate those milestones, you earned them!

8 comments:

  1. Jess, I can only repeat myself! You are awesome, and so inspiring! Congratulations on your success! Your hard work is paying off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree with Monika more! You are the awesomest! Again I appreciate your willingness to share the hard parts and the message you are sharing rocks! Way to take care of you the best that you can! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job!! And thanks for the tips. This has been a hard week for me. I've let PMS get the better of me with food. I need a swift kick in the butt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PMS can be a pain! Aunt Flo was visiting me last weekend and she was a rough one lol!

      Delete
  4. Amen, sister! I am 100% with you in the honesty aspect. Poole think it's hard to be untruthful to yourself, but man. I can overlook a lot. I feel like I am always SO hard on myself, but it's like a necessary evil. Hopefully someday food will be something that isn't insisting on being such a big part of my life. I can confess a bit of a sugar bug going and diet coke habit forming. Time to cut it t! Thanks for such a great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I think being honest with yourself is the hardest part, I'll have to slap myself on the hand when I find myself flubbing numbers when tracking food at times. "Oh, that's about a cup" or "eh, a little extra won't hurt, no need to track that" LOL

      Delete

- - - - - - - - - - - - -